ASIC-initiated cancellation of business name
Here we explain why we cancel a business name and what you need to do if you want to keep yours.
- Why we might start cancelling a business name
- How to stop your business name from being cancelled
- Where the letter will be sent
- How to restore your business name
- Support for business names
There are a few reasons why we might cancel a business name. These include:
- not renewing the business name registration
- the company that holds the business name has been deregistered
- the holder has been disqualified from holding a business name
If you've received a letter from us saying we intend to cancel your business name, and you would like to keep it, you can renew it quickly and easily through our 'Pay now'?service.
If we don't have an email address for your business name, the letter will be sent to the address for service of documents. We'll also send it to every holder at their residential address.
Learn more about where the notice will be sent
Once your business name has been cancelled, it cannot be registered by anyone else for at least six months from the cancellation date.
If your business name has been cancelled within the past six months because you didn't renew it in time, you can ask us to restore it.
Need more help? See our Support for business names?page for guidance on how to manage your business name online.
Want more information on how we manage your business name?